Wednesday 5 September 2012

Generating Energy Through Third Chakra Yoga Poses

Third chakra poses generate energy. A little more energy is just what I need right now. A little fuel to complete a few tasks before going to bed. I'm fading a bit and I want to be asleep in two hours. Sun Bird, Plank and Seated Boat are the third chakra poses I have chosen to generate energy.

Process

For centering and to invoke my Inner Guide, I sit on my heels in Vajrasana/Virasana consciously breathing for about 1 minute, then I move into Table then Sun Bird. I can feel the heat rising especially around my forehead. There's even moisture in my face. After 6 breaths Child's pose is my pose of choice - with my head up, cheeks in my palms.

Time to change sides and because a sore wrist would not entertain the idea of carrying that extra weight, I decide to extend the leg alone and keep both hands on the floor.Of course this is easier. Before I practice on this side I point the fingers backwards to release tension in both wrists.

Without the need for a rest, I go into Plank on the forearms. As I hold I feel the temperature rising. I sit back on my heels and pause in Virasana - a body check. I decide on a vinyasa for Seated Boat to avoid over heating and to be gentle. Holding the pose would light a fire. The vinyasa works well.

Paschimottanasana - seated forward bend - as a counter pose is needed. Muscles release as I hold and breathe consciously, and I drop further forward with each exhale. What a fantastic way to cool down.

A rest in Savasana is what my Inner Guide is ordering. I follow instructions happily. After Savasana I sit up in Easy Sitting Pose, Sukhasana for about 1 minute. The cooling breath I intended to practice following Savasana is not needed.

I am ready to complete the tasks ahead. The practice took 20 minutes.

My Overall Experience

There was enthusiasm to explore just how these three 3rd chakra poses would affect my energy level and mental acuity. It was natural to center before practicing the three poses and to rest as needed. I wondered how my small intestines were handling the spicy snack. The sore wrist feels much better. After the practice I checked and it was able to take the weight in Sun Bird. A few more tasks and then sleepy time.

As a footnote this 3 pose practice took 7 minutes in the morning on an empty stomach with no need for rest poses and no overheating.

Heather Greaves is an avid yoga explorer and owner of Body Therapies Yoga Training. She organizes yoga and meditation retreats and workshops in Ontario and Barbados, and has been helping yoga enthusiasts learn to teach yoga in a certified program. For more yoga tips or to sign up for our monthly newsletter visit http://www.yogatogo.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment